7 Spice Braised Short Ribs
- 4 short ribs
- 1 stick butter, divided
- Captain Foods Seven Spice Blend
- 1 12 ounce can of peeled plum tomatoes
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 shallot, roughly chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 pours of red wine
- Rub short ribs with Captain Foods Seven Spice Blend. Heat a cast iron to high heat, add 2 tbsp butter and brown short ribs on each side until a nice dark golden crust develops. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a slow cooker, add tomatoes, carrots, onions, shallots, garlic, red wine, remaining butter, and seared short ribs. Turn heat to low, cover, and cook overnight or up to 10 hours.
- Before serving, remove ribs from crock pot, and with a potato masher, mash the vegetables until a thick, chunky paste develops. Serve short ribs over parmesan polenta with a a few spoonfuls of the crockpot sauce and a sprig of rosemary if desired.