Black Eyed Pea Tater Tots with Bacon & Pickled Jalapeños
- 2 cups leftover cornbread stuffing
- 1.5 cups black eyed peas, drained as much as possible
- 2 tbsp chopped bacon
- 2 tbsp chopped jalapeños
- 1 tbsp green onion
- 1/2 tbsp Captain’s Everything Salt-Free
- 1/2 tsp Captain’s Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup seasoned panko
- **flour for back-up**
- oil for frying
- 1/2 cup panko
- Combine all of the ingredients (except the oil and half cup of panko) in a large bowl and mix – mashing the mixture together until it begins to stick together. Using the palms of your hands roll out little tubes and push the ends down with your pointer finger and thumb; forming a tater tot shape. Coat the exterior of the tots in the seasoned panko and set aside.
- Add oil to a medium sized frying pan and heat to about 330 degrees. Add black eyed pea tots, one by one, and fry on all sides until golden brown and crispy. If you’re having trouble keeping the tots together, stir in a little flour to your mixture and try again. This will help bind the ingredients together with the egg yolk.
- PRO TIP: Try serving it with our datil pepper sour cream which is made by mixing 1/2 cup sour cream with 2 tbsp datil pepper hot sauce.